Tuesday, December 29, 2009

An hour a day?

Recently our Pastor asked if we could each pray for an hour per day, for twenty four days.  He also asked if we would try to cover every hour of the day, or all twenty four hours.  We did this before, about three years ago.

I was just wondering how many people really ever pray for an hour per day?  Does this seem like an incredibly long time to talk to God?  In Daniel 6:10 it says that Daniel got down on his knees and prayed three times every day, even in captivity in Babylon, and was thrown into the lions den for doing so.  Of course we know that God sent angels to close the mouths of the lions and Daniel survived.

We who live in America have nothing to fear.  As of yet it is still okay to pray, at least at home and in church.

I must admit, I don't always pray an hour each day normally.  I have prayed for an hour, and I have prayed for two hours, but it is not my daily routine.  I have a tendency to communicate with God as if he is sitting next to me listening, or reading my thoughts.  I tend to pray as things come into my mind.

I have given it much thought though, and an hour a day does not seem like very much time when we put  it into perspective.  If you watch television for two or three hours a day, it is likely that you spent twenty to forty minutes watching commercials for things you have no interest in.  I could have been praying instead.

James 5:16 says; Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

Just think how powerful the Body of Christ would be if every Christian in the world prayed for an hour each day. 

Praying for healing and deliverance, and peace and the love of brothers and sisters in every nation, praying for God's will in us, and in the Earth.  I think God would would be very pleased, and I think He would bless us even more than we are already blessed.

I am going to start praying right now, I need some quality time, alone with my Father.

Philippians 1:4
In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy

God bless us all!

1 comment: